fol. 281=Tokyo, Professor Toshiyuki
Takamiya (This may, however, be De
Ricci 22.26, described as “One leaf only, mounted in a
frame.” I have not been able to examine the leaf, and the frame obscures
Mosser, Daniel W. “William Caxton’s First Edition of the Canterbury Tales and the Origin of the Leaves for the Caxton Club’s 1905 Leaf Book.” Disbound and Dispersed: The Leaf Book Considered. Ed. Susan F. Rossen. Newcastle, DL: Oak
Knoll Books, 2005. 24-50.
Bertram Ashburnham 4th Earl of Ashburnham (1797-1878)
“The title Baron Ashburnham…, of Ashburnham in the County of Sussex, was created in the Peerage of England in 1689 for John Ashburnham, grandson of the John Ashburnham who assisted King Charles I to escape from Oxford and Hampton Court Palace. The 3rd Baron was created Viscount St Asaph, in the Principality of Wales, and Earl of Ashburnham in the Peerage of Great Britain in 1730. The titles all became extinct in 1924, with the death of the 6th Earl; the surviving member of the family was Lady Mary Catherine Charlotte Ashburnham (1890–1953), daughter of the fifth Earl.
The family’s wealth was substantially drawn from the Welsh village of Pembrey; as late as 1873 the earls owned 7,568 acres in Wales. They also owned extensive landholdings across Sussex and the iron industry there. They were their original holdings which were granted to them by William the Conqueror for services rendered by Robert de Crull or de Crioll at the Battle of Hastings in 1066. Among the estates were three salt houses and Esseborne which the de Crulls changed to Ashburnham. They took on the name Ashburnham and dropped the name Crull, which had been a common surname among the Anglo-French aristocracy that had dominated England since the Norman conquest. The name change’s evolvement began in the latter days of Edward III of England’s reign when there was a great fear of a French invasion. As a result, the English language experienced a great revival, and the Angloisation of the Anglo-French aristocracy commenced to strengthen a sense of national unity.
The 2nd and 3rd Earls of Ashburnham were successful courtiers. The 4th Earl bought a famous collection of Illuminated manuscripts, which was sold by the 5th Earl, mostly to the British Library, although the Ashburnham Pentateuch is in Paris. The 5th Earl sold off most of the paintings collection, including one of Rembrandt’s self-portraits. He was a supporter of the Spanish Carlist claimant, Juan, Count of Montizón.
The seat of the Earls of Ashburnham was Ashburnham Place in Sussex. It was occupied by the 6th earl’s niece, Lady Catherine Ashburnham (1890–1953), until her death in 1953, and subsequently the contents were sold in 1953 and the land in 1953-1957. The estate was inherited by the Reverend John Bickersteth (1926-1991). The house was reduced in size and turned into a Christian conference centre, which caters to both individuals and groups” (Wikipedia).
“…oil developer, was born in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, the son of Patrick Doheny, a laborer, and Ellen (in some sources Eleanor Elizabeth) Quigley, a schoolteacher.…
Doheny’s reputation achieved legendary status when he began prospecting for oil in Mexico in 1900. His Mexican Petroleum Company, established west of Tampico, was the first company to obtain large quantities of oil in Mexico and the first to secure sales contracts for Mexican fuel oil. Doheny began by supplying his own asphalt-refining company, which was paving streets in Mexico’s major cities, and progressed to providing fuel for more than three-quarters of the rail lines in the country. He also supplied manufactured gas to Mexico City and other urban areas beginning in 1910. From this period through the mid-1920s Doheny’s Huasteca Petroleum Company struck several huge Mexican gushers, making him the largest crude oil producer in the world. He also reentered the California oil business in 1908 and set up a number of independent companies that kept him active in the West Coast petroleum industry. His influence grew primarily with the rising importance of Mexican fuel oil to American and European markets, and shares of ‘Mexican Pete’ led the oil stocks on the New York Stock Exchange. In 1916 Doheny set up the Pan American Petroleum and Transport Company as the holding company for his entire operation” (American National Biography Online).